Thursday, March 15, 2018

Dreadnaught (1981)

Original title: Yong Zhe Wu Ju

Director: Woo-Ping Yuen

Writer: Jing Wong

Starring: Biao Yuen, Ka-Yan Leung, Shun-Yee Yuen, Tak-Hing Kwant, Chung-Hsing Chao, Yun-Kin Chow, Lee Chun-Wa, Mei Sheng Fan

More info: IMDb

Plot: A short-tempered, violent criminal named "White Tiger" is on the run from the police and joins a theater troupe for disguise, killing anyone who angers him or who suspects his identity. One person he unsuccessfully tries to kill several times is a cowardly laundry man named "Mousy" who manages to escape mostly by running and hiding. When a very close friend of Mousy's is killed by the White Tiger, Mousy overcomes his cowardliness enough to seek revenge.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Probably not but I'll definitely re-watch the dragon/lion dance scenes again.

I don't know about anyone else but I watch these 70s & 80s Kung Fu flicks for the fights.  The humor rarely hits with me as it's usually coming from way over the top characters who can't possibly exist in real life.  The story just needs to serve as a thread on which the Kung Fu action hangs.  Those are my criteria.  This one is a prime example.  The fights are creative and fun and those dragon/lion dance sequences are just marvelous.  The print I watched looked great in anamorphic widescreen.  It was dubbed in English which wasn't bad but I got the feeling I would have preferred to watch it in the original Cantonese with English subs.  Maybe the overbearing comic relief would've been toned down.  This picture is one of the good ones from a genre and time when there were a lot of bad to just OK films.  It's definitely worth checking out.


No comments:

Post a Comment