Friday, December 8, 2017

Mindhunter (2017) TV series

Creator: Joe Penhall

Directors: David Fincher, Andrew Douglas, Asif Kapadia, Tobias Lindholm

Composer: Jason Hill

Starring: Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, Hannah Gross, Sonny Valicenti, Anna Torv, Cotter Smith, Cameron Britton

More info: IMDb

Plot: In the late 1970s two FBI agents expand criminal science by delving into the psychology of murder and getting uneasily close to all-too-real monsters.



My rating: 9/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes!!!

I'm fascinated with serial killers and the men and women who solve their crimes with equal attraction.  Years ago I read John Douglas's book Mindhunter about how he and others formed the Behavioral Science Division of the FBI beginning in the 1970s.  It's an incredible read.  This show is somewhat based on his book.  It's been a while since I read it and with my memory I need to revisit it, particularly since I've seen the first season so I can compare the two.  I recognize some of what the show does from the book.  Before I get into what I dig about the show, there's one thing that bugs me a little and that's the dark grading of the picture.  I'm going to assume that they're doing it this way to fill the show with a dark sense of gloom.  It's not a pretty subject trying to get into the minds of these killers but the overall shading of the show seems a bit much.


Now, the good stuff.  The acting is stellar.  They all do a wonderful job but the standout for me is Holt McCallany as Bill Tench.  Wow!  Where did this guy come from?  I've seen very little of his work but he's on my radar now.  I LOVE his character.  What's more than the good performances is that they also work very well together and they all have interesting looks that match their roles to a 'T'.  Cameron Britton, who plays Ed Kemper, is spot-fucking-on!  When I saw the trailer I about lost most shit when he showed up.  The score works well, the look of the period, the small doses of humor without feeling out of place or shoe-horned in, the cars - it all works.  It's a compelling, true crime thriller that builds and builds to a great season finale.  At only eleven episodes it feels far too short.  I don't want to stop watching these people do what they do.  David Fincher is one of the producers and he wants this show to continue for five more seasons.  Netflix ordered seasons two before the first one aired.  Goody.

No comments:

Post a Comment