Saturday, November 4, 2017

The Matrix (1999)

Directors: Lana Wachowski, Lilly Wachowski

Writers: Lana Wachowski, Lilly Wachowski

Composer: Don Davis

Starring: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Hugo Weaving, Gloria Foster, Joe Pantoliano, Marcus Chong, Julian Arahanga, Matt Doran, Belinda McClory

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Free your mind

Plot: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

Boy, oh, boy was this the shit when it hit theaters in '99!  I remember sitting in the theater being wow'd left and right.  It was the first time I'd seen 'bullet time' done and it was fucking amazing.  It was a groundbreaking film and it put the Wachowskis on the world stage.  It's one of the few roles I've dug Reeves in and he's great.  So is everyone else.  I'd heard of Hugo Weaving prior to this but afterward I was a huge fan.   I dig everything about this flick from the visuals to the score.  It's a home run.  Watching again after some time, it still holds up but there's no going back to experiencing something for the first time.  Some super genius scientist needs to figure out a way to crack that code.  The Warner Bros. Blu-ray looks amazing as expected.  I saw the sequels in the theater.  2 was OK and I didn't like the third.  I recently got halfway through 2 and gave up.  It's still just OK but geez were those pictures way too long and tedious.  Maybe after twenty years I might give them another shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment