Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Odd Couple (1968)

Director: Gene Saks

Writer: Neil Simon

Composer: Neal Hefti

Starring: Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, John Fiedler, Herb Edelman, David Sheiner, Larry Haines, Monica Evans, Carole Shelley, Iris Adrian

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are The Odd Couple

Plot: Two friends try sharing an apartment, but their ideas of housekeeping and lifestyles are as different as night and day.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

This movie is as old as me and I'm just now seeing it.  I remember watching the TV show in the 70s and liking it and the popular theme tune is one of the all time movie/TV greats.  I'm disappointed that I didn't like this as much as I thought I would.  It's amusing but not all that funny.  It's cute and pleasant.  You can't say it's not well made or anything but didn't really laugh at all.  I knew what to expect going in but I came away a little bummed.  The cast is great and it's full of familiar faces, character actors I dig.  Maybe my pea brain remembered when I watched the show forty years ago and decided that was funnier than the movie but neglected to tell me. The Paramount DVD sports a great looking anamorphic widescreen print with only the theatrical trailer (also anamorphic wide) for an extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment