Sunday, July 9, 2017

Collectors (2000)

Director: Julian P. Hobbs

Composer: Don DiNicola

Starring: Tobias Allen, Joe Coleman, Wayne Henley, Harold Schechter, Rick Staton

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A feature length documentary about artwork by serial killers; those who make it, the people who promote it and the people that detest it.

Plot: America is drawn to the macabre handiwork of the serial killer. From best sellers to movies and television, there is an insatiable appetite for serial killer related material. Enthusiasts have taken this fascination into reality, reaching out to the murderers through letters and visits, gathering artifacts of the crimes, and collecting serial killer art work. Filmed in the deep South, COLLECTORS journeys into this strange, compelling world to illuminate the outer limits of pop culture's fascination with murder and mayhem.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

I'm fascinated with serial killers but I'm also equally fascinated in the people who catch them.  That's where my interest stops.  The subjects of this film go much farther.  I don't have a problem with that; it's legal and it hurts no one.  A lot of folks would think this to be repulsive and I understand that.  I do think it's in bad taste to have an art exhibition of these murderers.  They have the right to do it but it is in poor taste when you consider the numerous victims that essentially contributed to their murderer's infamy.  The exhibitors are in some small way exploiting the victims and that's fucked up.  Would I attend one of these exhibitions?  Maybe.  Color me hypocrite.  Most of the artwork shown in this film is uninteresting and the only reason why it gets to see the light of day is because it was created by a serial killer.  I wouldn't mind having a Gacy painting of Pogo the Clown but mostly because of the creepy clown aspect.  The strangest thing is the following painting that Gacy made for Rick Staton who sold his art for commission.  In it he portrays Staton's young son.  That's creepy.






If I had a kid I don't think I'd want a serial killer even knowing about them but then there isn't any harm that can come to 'em.  It's an interesting, voyeuristic look into a little piece of subculture that most people would like to not even know about.  It's good, it covers the many points of view and from a lot of people including the killers and their victims' families.  Oh, and by the way, it's Staton who encouraged these people to create more art to sell and for killers that could barely draw stick figures to branch out and make something he could sell.  Now go watch this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment