Sunday, January 15, 2017

The International (2009)

Director: Tom Tykwer

Writer: Eric Warren Singer

Composers: Reinhold Heil, Johnny Klimek, Tom Tykwer

Starring: Clive Owen, Naomi Watts, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Ulrich Thomsen, Brian F. O'Byrne, Michel Voletti, Patrick Baladi, Ben Whishaw

More info: IMDb

Tagline: They control your money. They control your government. They control your life. And everybody pays.

Plot: An Interpol agent attempts to expose a high-profile financial institution's role in an international arms dealing ring.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I've only seen one other Tykwer picture and that's the brilliantly entertaining RUN LOLA RUN (1998) and being a huge fan of Clive Owen there's no way I was going to pass this up.  It looks fantastic.  That's the best thing I've got to say I think.  It's a pretty good thriller but I wasn't caught up in it like I should've been.  A story, and cast/crew, like this have the potential to keep you on the edge of your seat but not this time.  There's plenty of action and intrigue but it's missing that one important element that should have you riveted.  That would make for a much stronger experience.  The performances are fine and the picture provides an adequate level of adrenaline pumping action but it's missing something that keeps this from being a great ride.  What you see on screen looks like a satisfying meal but it's not quite done.  Now I need to find a really good 70s thriller to get me back on track. 

3 comments:

  1. Tom's made a few good films.

    http://dansator.blogspot.com/search/label/Tom%20Tykwer

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't been writing for a while. I hope you're okay. Your blog is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I've been busy in other areas. There's a backlog of probably 200 movies I've watched in the past year that I haven't gotten around to writing about. I'll get back into this soon. I've seen some really good pictures recently and they've gotten me excited about movies again. I appreciate the kind words.

      Delete