Monday, July 11, 2016

Seven Times Lucky (2004)

Director: Gary Yates

Writer: Gary Yates

Composer: Glenn Buhr

Starring: Kevin Pollak, Liane Balaban, Jonas Chernick, James Tolkan, Aleks Paunovic, Babs Chula, Gordon Tootoosis

More info: IMDb

Tagline:  You only con the ones you love.

Plot:  An aging con-man and a beautiful, ambitious student cross paths in a scam that promises to make them both rich.

My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again?  Nope.

Not a bad flick but it's not compelling, interesting, clever or fun like you'd halfway expect from a crime flick like this one.  It's watchable and I wanted to see how it ended (which was predictable but pleasant enough).  I digs me some Pollak and he's good as usual.  It's neat seeing James Tolkan play a tough guy with a gravely voice.  Harlan (Pollak) is not someone that you'd want to hang around with...unless you wanted someone to do some stealing with.  He's a down in the dumps kind of guy that rarely shows any happiness.  It's not that his demeanor gets tiring but that I was only half rooting for the guy.  I felt sorry for him for getting screwed over BUT at the same time, the ending was weak enough that I didn't feel happy for him when he reverses his situation.  It's sad.  He does use some disguises when working jobs and his Bob Hoskins look and accent had me laughing with joy.  Fans of Kevs will want to watch this Canadian noir but not many else.  Oh, I did dig that there were elements of this taking place in different times with the clothing, cars, etc.  Neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment