Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Misery (1990)

Director: Rob Reiner

Writers: Stephen King, William Goldman

Composer: Marc Shaiman

Starring: James Caan, Kathy Bates, Richard Farnsworth, Frances Sternhagen, Lauren Bacall, Graham Jarvis, Jerry Potter, J.T. Walsh

More info: IMDb

Tagline: This Christmas there will be... Misery.

Plot: After a famous author is rescued from a car crash by a fan of his novels, he comes to realize that the care he is receiving is only the beginning of a nightmare of captivity and abuse.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes!

Who would've thought that fun ole Rob Reiner could turn in a top notch horror/thriller?  He's a great director so it's not that surprising I guess but it's the kind of thing that you wouldn't expect.  Anyway, this flick is great.  It's got flat out funny moments, lots of dark humor and some genuinely tense moments.  That hobbling scene gets me every single time.  The cast is perfect.  I can't imagine anyone in any role being any better.  It put Bates on the map and catapulted her to stardom.  She rightfully deserved that best acting Oscar.  Caan is superb.  Farnsworth & Sternhagen are so adorable together.  I first fell in love with her in OUTLAND (1981).  She's hilarious.  I've only seen this picture once or twice before and it's been probably twenty years since the last time.  The MGM DVD presents the film in non-anamorphic widescreen with the only extras being the theatrical trailer and teaser (both fullscreen).  I'll get rid of this one and the next time it'll be on Blu-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment