Thursday, May 12, 2016

Nightcrawler (2014)

Director: Dan Gilroy

Writer: Dan Gilroy

Composer: James Newton Howard

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Bill Paxton, Bill Seward, Pat Harvey, Sharon Tay, Rick Garcia, Ann Cusack

More info: IMDb

Tagline:  The City Shines Brightest at Night

Plot: When Louis Bloom, a driven man desperate for work, muscles into the world of L.A. crime journalism, he blurs the line between observer and participant to become the star of his own story. Aiding him in his effort is Nina, a TV-news veteran.



My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes.  Send me the Blu-ray!

I caught this on Netflix the other night and hoo boy!  It's great.  The cast is superb.  Gyllenhaal hasn't been better and Russo knocks it out of the park.  This picture is mesmerizing.  Gilroy's story and pacing is captivating and there isn't a single dull moment.  I was keen to know what was going to happen next.  And when that certain something happens about halfway through, it's an edge of the seat, cringe-inducing thriller.  And that ending?  NICE!!!  Gyllenhaal plays brilliant & creepy all too well.  I'm looking forward to getting the Blu-ray and delving into the extras.  I had being late to the dance on great, newer films like this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment