Monday, April 18, 2016

Something's Gotta Give (2003)

Director: Nancy Meyers

Writer: Nancy Meyers

Composer: Hans Zimmer

Starring: Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Keanu Reeves, Frances McDormand, Amanda Peet, Jon Favreau, Paul Michael Glaser, Rachel Ticotin

More info: IMDb

Plot:  A swinger on the cusp of being a senior citizen with a taste for young women falls in love with an accomplished woman closer to his age.



My rating:  7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Maybe.

First of all, it must be nice to be filthy rich.  Second, the film should've ended on the bridge in Paris.  I didn't care for what happened after it at all, song and all.  With that out of the way, I really dug it.  It's funny and sweet.  There were also a few turns I didn't expect.  It's great film making to produce a film that straddles the fine line of romantic cliches and keep it nice without feeling the sting of "I've seen this kind of shit a million times...why, oh, why?!?!"  The entire Paris dinner scene was a piece of work, almost one line after another.  Nicholson and Keaton are in top form and holy crap, how about that Keanu Reeves?  He's so good and human.  He should co-star more often.  The first couple of times you see him he's just fantastic, charming and all around great.  Amanda Peet's just all kinds of cute and fun.  Good flick.  I'm sure I'll see it again someday.  I just happened to have seen a lot of the last few movies Nicholson did before retiring (at least it seems like he's done) and I'm impressed with his choices (there is the odd stinker in the batch...I'm looking at you that Adam Sandler movie).  It's nice to see that there are still studio pictures like this being made (albeit rare) with older actors.  It's refreshing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment