Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Merlin and the Book of Beasts (2009)

Director: Warren P. Sonoda

Writer: Brook Durham

Composer: Craig McConnell

Starring:  James Callis, Laura Harris, Jesse Moss, Patrick Sabongui, Donald Adams, Jim Thrburn, Maja Aro, Megan Vincent, Monique Ganderton, Daniel Cudmore, Lauro Chartrand

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The darkest knights of all.

Plot: Sorcerer Arkadian has taken over Camelot with a zoo of beasts from his magical book. King Arthur's daughter Avlynn asks Merlin to help her take back Camelot. She also has to find the sacred sword Excalibur to assist her as she leads a band of knights to battle Arkadian.



My rating:  5.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Aw, hell, no!

OMFG!  I watched this largely because it stars BATTLESTAR GALLACTICA's James "Baltar" Callis as Merlin.  I mean, hey!  He's British.  How can he fuck this up?  OMG he's so bad.  I mean really bad.  Whoever had the crazy idea that Merlin should speak out of his vocal range with a low, gravelly voice needs to be slapped.  Hell, the person doing the slapping should be dressed as Bill Shakespeare.  He's so bad it's laughable.  Really.  I honestly thought it was a joke at first, that maybe this was supposed to be a lighter film than I took it to be.  Nope.  He's like that all through the picture.  So how's the rest of the film?  I can't remember.  I was dumbfounded by Callis' acting.  The movie's OK.  For a low budget straight to video flick the effects and atmosphere are pretty decent and the story is fine.  You should seriously consider watching it for Callis in a role that's sure to pull some chuckles out of you.  The Anchor Bay DVD (I can't believe AB wanted this in their catalog) presents this in anamorphic widescreen and it's a good looking image.  The only thing you get for an extra is 10 minute behind the scenes featurette.

No comments:

Post a Comment