Saturday, January 16, 2016

Bellflower (2011)

Director: Evan Glodell

Writer: Evan Glodell

Composer: Jonathan Keevil

Starring: Evan Glodell, Jessie Wiseman, Tyler Dawson, Rebekah Brandes, Vincent Grashaw, Zack Kraus, Keghan Hurst

More info: IMDb

Tagline: A love story with apocalyptic stakes.

Plot: Two friends spend all their free time building flame-throwers and weapons of mass destruction in hopes that a global apocalypse will occur and clear the runway for their imaginary gang "Mother Medusa".



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

The first half of the film got on my nerves.  I have a really hard time not finishing a movie but I was really tempted about twenty minutes in. The two main guys are incredibly annoying, like you're the only sober one in a room filled with drunks and stoners.  Then an accident happens to one of them that changes the annoying ones (for the better, at least for my entertainment value) and the tone of the picture.  It gets serious and a little surreal.  As one of them begins to lose his sanity, he takes us with him and the finale is pretty messed up.  I liked that part but that was about it.  The end doesn't go as far as you think it will but it does imply that perhaps it will. I just wanted to see that part.  That definitely would've elevated the film more.  Again, I'm looking at this as entertainment and I liked small portions of this ride.  I guess if you identify with either of these two guys then you'll have a better time with it.  The Oscilloscope DVD has some extras including a behind the scenes featurette (24 minutes), a 10 minute piece with Glodell walking us through the badass modifications to the car star in the film, Medusa, 8 minutes of outtakes, the theatrical trailer and trailers for 5 other Oscilloscope pictures.  A commentary track would have been nice to have.  


No comments:

Post a Comment