Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Bucket List (2007)

Director: Rob Reiner

Writer: Justin Zackham

Composer: Marc Shaiman

Starring: Jack Nicholson, Morgan Freeman, Sean Hayes, Beverly Todd, Rob Morrow, Alfonso Freeman, Rowena King

More info: IMDb

Tagline: When he closed his eyes, his heart was opened

Plot: Two terminally ill men escape from a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they die.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again?  Maybe.

What a great story with equally great performances from Nicholson and Freeman, especially Nicholson.  You'll laugh and you'll cry...and you'll laugh again.  The skydiving scene still has me in hysterics.  If you haven't seen it yet, I won't tell you how much time you spend in the hospital before the adventure begins. Once they're out, it's a wild, fun and sweet ride.  Another thing I dug about this is that it didn't always go in directions you're accustomed to seeing in the typical Hollywood movie.  The ending didn't go down the way I was thinking, either, and I'm glad.  This is the last starring role for Nicholson unless he comes back from retirement, and it's a great one to go out on.  He's such a wonderful presence.  Great direction from Reiner, too.  It's been a very long time since I saw one of his pictures.  I should remedy that.  The Warner Bros. DVD has a nice anamorphic widescreen print but is sadly lacking in extras.  All you get (besides the DVD-ROM stuff which I never check out) is a 4 minute piece with Zackham on writing the screenplay and a music video from John Mayer.  Yeah, that's it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment