Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Slasher (2004)

Director: John Landis

Starring: Michael Bennett, Christin Ackerman, Emily Banks

More info: IMDb


Plot: A documentary on a stereotypically shady used car salesman, one who convinces customers to buy vehicles that others have deemed unfit for sale.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Nope.

In the past year I've seen a few movies (comedies) about the car industry and I've been diggin' 'em.  If you need a reason to do your homework before buying anything that's going to cost you a substantial amount of dough, watch this first.  There wasn't anything in it that surprised me tactic-wise but it's a fun look at a shitty-ass industry (from a customer POV).  The Slasher, (Bennett), seems like a nice guy but he's always on in the film, talking a million miles an hour. I realize they squeezed a week's worth of shooting material into about an hour an a half but after a while his energy started to drain me.  It doesn't help that the sales weekend didn't meet anyone's expectations.  The best parts were seeing the excitement of the customers who got their cars for $88 (a promotion the dealership was running) and nudity.  That's right, titties!  Bennett goes to a titty bar and all the girls on on display.  I sure as fuck didn't expect that in a documentary on used car salesmen.  Oh, a young girl's parents who ended up winning a car for $88 took it home to her and the girl was far from amused.  She looked like she'd just been kicked out of college and her life was over.  It's a practically free car that runs and there are fucking cameras in your face...fake it.  The pacing is pretty brisk with frequent departures from the big sales event.  The biggest surprise is that this was directed by John Landis.  I wonder if the DVD has any extras.  I just love listening to that man talk.  He's got a lot of energy, too, but he's almost always excited and passionate about what he's there for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment