Friday, October 23, 2015

Mockingbird (2014)

Director: Bryan Bertino

Writers: Bryan Bertino, Sam Esmail

Composer: no score (was the end credits cue written for the film?  It sounded like it. Nice piece.)

Starring: Natalie Alyn Lind, Emily Alyn Lind, Alyvia Alyn Lind, Audrey Marie Anderson, Tod Stashwick, Lee Garlington, Spence List, Benjamin Stockham, Alexandra Lydon, Barak Hardley, Isabella Murad, Colby French, Kai caster, Elizabeth Kouri, David Michie, Danny Vasquez, Earnestine Phillips, Yelyna De Leon

More info: IMDb


Plot: A couple are given a camera and a set of instructions which they must follow or else someone will die.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

One night a few months back the Mrs. and I sat down with the lights out for a couple of found footage horror flicks.  That wasn't our intention but it's how it worked out while browsing Netflix streaming.  Found footage flicks are more miss than hit for me.  If my interest starts waning then I find myself looking for the seams and all those little things that make it implausible that someone's holding a camera without the intent of making a movie.  If it's a good picture then that generally doesn't matter.  This one's pretty good.  We bounce between three stories not knowing where and when they will converge but why.  The one with the clown (I forget the guy's name) was the most fun.  I really liked that guy.  So how about that ending, huh?  When the characters all collide with each other for the big climax it's not all that climactic.  Without spoiling it, the way it plays out isn't as strong as it needed to be and finding out who was behind the whole thing was weak and ineffective.  This picture deserved a stronger finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment