Monday, January 26, 2015

Unleashed (2005)

AKA: Danny the Dog

Director: Louis Leterrier

Writer: Luc Besson

Composers: Neil Davidge, Massive Attack

Starring: Jet Li, Morgan Freeman, Bob Hoskins, Kerry Condon, Vincent Regan, Dylan Brown, Tamer Hassan, Michael Jenn, Phyllida Law, Carole Ann Wilson

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Serve No Master

Plot: A man enslaved by the mob since childhood and raised into behaving like a human attack dog escapes his captors and attempts to start a new life.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again?  Maybe.

I watched the unrated version.  I don't know what that means in the big picture but it was fun.  Jet Li kicks ass. Bob Hoskins is a mean yet charismatic and likable mother fucker.  Morgan Freeman is being Morgan Freeman which means he's great as always. Kerry Condon is fantastic and she makes you fall in love with Victoria with all of her quirky traits.  The story's great, too, and a little different than usual.  I really dug it.  The action scenes are kick ass and I was glad to see they weren't filmed with that horrid quickly edited shaky cam.  This is a great looking, great sounding fun as shit movie.  It's a little over an hour and a half and it feels a little long but it's definitely not a deal killer.  Speaking of killing, there are a lot of nice little surprises in this film that I didn't see coming and I'm so glad I didn't.  The Universal DVD has three featurettes that total under a half hour and two music videos.  That's it but then, in this instance, just having the movie is enough.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment