Saturday, January 17, 2015

Interstellar (2014)

Director: Christopher Nolan

Writers: Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan

Composer: Hans Zimmer

Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Mackenzie Foy, Ellen Burstyn, John Lithgow, Timothee Chalamet, Bill Irwin, Anne Hathaway, William Devane, Michael Caine, Casey Affleck, Topher Grace, Matt Damon

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here.

Plot: A team of explorers travel through a wormhole in an attempt to ensure humanity's survival.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Probably.

I watched this a few weeks back in the theater so I'm likely to leave something out.  Alright.  I was not blown away like it seems everyone else was.  I really wanted to.  The big reveal at the end was mind expansive and I dug that but there was so much else that bothered me.  Cooper (McConaughey) clearly loved his daughter to the point of neglecting his son but that bit was sidelined to tell the story.  I thought Cooper was a benevolent asshole when it came to his relationship with his son and Cooper had not problems flaunting his love for Murph (Foy).  I'm not going to make this a bashing session at all and this will be brief but having had lots of time to reflect on the film since I saw it, lots of questions and irritating plot points have come to mind.  It seems like the more I think about it the more it reminds me of PROMETHEUS (2012) with how idiotic some of the dialogue and character actions were.  When Brand (Hathaway,  SCIENTIST!!!) says, "Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space." I about lost it.  That might have been the moment where I started to enjoy the picture less.  Then other things started piling on.  I REALLY liked the big 'fuck you' that one of the leads ultimately revealed.  The effects were insanely convincing but it's the story that, while aiming for the Moon with its ideals, helped take the air out of the sails from what should have been a much more cerebral science fiction masterpiece.  Do you think it helps to have kids to enjoy this more?  On that note, I liked the robot and Bill Irwin's voicing.  His interplay with Cooper added some much needed fun.  I could have done without the typical Hollywood action business on that planet where you know who shows up.  It's almost three hours long and it felt it.  I will give it another chance someday.  Maybe my questions will be answered after that or maybe I'll realize that this really isn't as good as it should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment