Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Gold (1974)

Director: Peter R. Hunt

Writers: Wilbur Smith, Stanley Price

Composer: Elmer Bernstein

Starring: Roger Moore, Susannah York, Ray Milland, Bradford Dillman, John Gielgud, Tony Beckley, Simon Sabela, Marc Smith, John Hussey

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The world's most daring conspiracy against the world's most precious metal! And only one man can stop it!

Plot: Rod Slater is the newly appointed general manager of the Sonderditch gold mine, but he stumbles across an ingenious plot to flood the mine, by drilling into an underground lake, so the unscrupulous owners to make a killing in the international gold market.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Probably not.

I've seen this two or three times now over the past 25 years and I think I'm done with it.  With every view I like it just a little bit less.  I'm a huge Roger Moore fan but despite that I have a tougher time accepting him in the role of Rod Slater, the man who manages a gold mining operation.  I still dig the guy in this though. I think my main issue with this picture is the extraordinary amount of time spent on his and Terry's (Susannah York) romance.  It's two hours long but it feels longer.  It's even more of a letdown when taking into account the talent behind and in front of the camera.  There's some very talented folks here.  Maybe it's the screenplay that requires so much to be filmed.  Regardless, I think I've given it enough of my time and I should maybe seek out some of the few non-Bond Roger Moore movies from the 70s and 80s that I haven't seen yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment