Saturday, January 31, 2015

Blood (2012)

Director: Nick Murphy

Writer: Bill Gallagher

Composer: Daniel Pemberton

Starring: Mark Strong, Paul Bettany, Brian Cox, Stephen Graham, Zoe Tapper, Ben Compton, Natasha Little, Adrian Edmondson, Naomi Battrick

More info: IMDb

Tagline: You can't bury the truth.

Plot: Thriller charting the moral collapse of a police family. Two cop brothers, smothered by the shadow of their former police chief father, must investigate a crime they themselves have committed.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? No.

There's nothing fun about watching someone slowly breakdown during the course of a film, especially when the walls take forever to close in to the breaking point with one piece of bad news after another.  Well,  I guess taking too long to do would be worse.  I liked it OK and the performances are strong (good score, overall vibe, etc) but the pacing really hurts the film.  92 minutes feels like two and a half hours.  What makes it worse is that it doesn't seen necessary to take so long (even though it's relatively short for the type of picture this is).  Otherwise I liked most other aspects of it.  It's a very good story and I liked what the director was going for but the execution doesn't push the film like it needs. It also doesn't help that combining the pacing with the quiet, moody (but good) score and the overall dark and bluish color correction makes this an almost perfect storm for taking a nap if you're not ready for it.  I suppose I'd have to watch it again and really give it some thought into how it could be better.  I kind of want to just as an exercise but what the hell do I know.  I haven't shot a single frame of film for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment