Sunday, October 12, 2014

Scanners (1981)

Director: David Cronenberg

Writer: David Cronenberg

Composer: Howard Shore

Starring: Jennifer O'Neill, Stephen Lack, Patrick McGoohan, Lawrence Dane, Michael Ironside, Robert A. Silverman, Lee Broker, Mavor Moore, Adam Ludwig

More info: IMDb

Tagline: There are 4 billion people on earth. 237 are Scanners. They have the most terrifying powers ever created... and they are winning.

Plot: A scientist sends a man with extraordinary psychic powers to hunt others like him.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I've seen this probably three times now over thirty years and I like it more now than I did before.  I always thought this was pretty damn dull.  It does take its time but it's still a pretty good movie.  The performances are fine, the special effects are great and Howard Shore's score (his second of many with Cronenberg) is wonderfully moody.  I love it.  The effects that bookend the film, especially during the big showdown at the end, are outstanding.  The head explosion kicks all kinds of ass.  It's too bad they shoot their exploding head wad in the first few minutes and never give it to us again.  SCANNERS is a good looking picture, too, which helps.  I think three times is enough for me.  Unfortunately the MGM DVD only has the fullscreen trailer as an extra.  The anamorphic widescreen film, though, looks great.

No comments:

Post a Comment