Monday, September 22, 2014

Tabloid (2010)

Director: Errol Morris

Composer: John Kusiak

Starring: Joyce McKiney, Peter Tory, Troy Williams, Jackson Shaw, Kent Gavin, Dr. Hong

More info: IMDb

Tagline: An Errol Morris love story

Plot: A documentary on a former Miss Wyoming who is charged with abducting and imprisoning a young Mormon Missionary.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

I've seen several of Errol Morris' documentaries and they're all outstanding.  There's usually a darkly comedic edge to them, the music is riveting and the stories compelling.  TABLOID is hilarious and he plays it up in his style.  I knew someone just like Joyce McKinney (and she was one scary broad) but I didn't realize it until near the end at which time it kind of turned creepy for me.  You hear two different versions of the story and it could really go either way although you're likely to lean more heavily to one side by the end.  It's a fascinating story told by fascinating people in a fascinating way.  And then there's the incredible media coverage of McKinney and her antics that really go off the charts.  And, boy oh boy, wait till you find out about her sordid past!  Yowza!!!  It's a terrific picture and it only gets me excited to see more of Morris' work.  I'll definitely revisit this one again.  It's highly entertaining and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment