Wednesday, September 24, 2014

John Dies at the End (2012)

Director: Don Coscarelli

Writers: Don Coscarelli, David Wong

Composer: Brian Tyler

Starring: Chase Williamson, Rob Mayes, Paul Giamatti, Clancy Brown, Glynn Turman, Doug Jones, Daniel Roebuck, Fabianne Therese, Johnny Weston, Jimmy Wong, Angus Scrimm

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Just so you know...they're sorry for anything that's about to happen.

Plot: A new street drug that sends its users across time and dimensions has one drawback: some people return as no longer human. Can two college dropouts save humankind from this silent, otherworldly invasion?



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Maybe.

There are few directors that can still surprise you after nearly forty years.  Coscarelli has created a film that challenges you to pay attention but you'll have no problem having a good time.  The farther you get into the picture the more it begins to make sense.  I was in WTF mode for a good half hour (I was also REALLY sleepy and fighting to keep my eyes open) but I slowly started to come around.  The performances are fun and the story is quirky.  It's nice seeing some familiar faces.  Someday I'll probably revisit this when I'm wide awake.  One thing's for sure, truck-driving pooches are hilarious.


No comments:

Post a Comment