Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Lonely Guy (1984)

Director: Arthur Hiller

Writers: Bruce Jay Friedman, Neil Simon, Stan Daniels, Ed Weinberger

Composer:  Jerry Goldsmith

Starring: Steve Martin, Charles Grodin, Judith Ivey, Steve Lawrence, Robyn Douglass, Merv Griffin, Joyce Brothers, Candi Brough, Rance Howard, Loni Anderson

More info: IMDb

Tagline: You know you're lonely when.

Plot: A writer for a greeting card company learns the true meaning of loneliness when he comes home to find his girlfriend in bed with another man.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Sure.

Boy, I haven't seen this in nearly thirty years.  Isn't it remarkable how well Steve Martin has aged?  Amazing.  This isn't exactly a home run but damn are there some funny gags in it.  Charles Grodin slays me.  I laughed quite a bit.  It's a cute comedy that plays out about like you'd expect it but it's so goofy and sweet -natured that I can't help but like it.  It's not a home run like I'd want it to be but Steve Martin is so charismatic and then when you get Steve Lawrence popping up every once in a while bringing the funny.  It's good stuff.  And who would've thought sneezing and suicide could be so hilarious?

No comments:

Post a Comment