Monday, May 12, 2014

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

Director: Garth Jennings

Writers: Douglas Adams, Karey Kirkpatrick

Composer: Joby Talbot

Starring: Martin Freeman, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel, Stephen Fry, Sam Rockwell, Alan Rickman, Warwick Davis, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Bill Nighy

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Don't Panic

Plot: Mere seconds before the Earth is to be demolished by an alien construction crew, journeyman Arthur Dent is swept off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher penning a new edition of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

Oh, this movie is so much fun.  I love the absurdity and silliness of it all.  It reminds me of Monty Python and it's so definitively British. There are so many wonderfully funny performances and it's hard to pick a favorite.  Sam Rockwell, channeling Bill Clinton and Elvis Presley, and Alan Rickman are tops for sure.  Stephen Fry's voice is deliciously perfect as our narrator.  I could listen to him recite the entire book.  Wait. No I couldn't.  I remember now.  I tried once and didn't last a half hour before giving up.  Hmmmmm.  OK, so I bet one day I could listen to him recite the rest of the book.  The special effects are great and I love the sets and worlds they created.  And Joby Talbot's score is playful and a perfect fit for the picture.  There's not a slow spot on board and the gags are all over the place, most of them making a solid landing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment