Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sins of the Fleshapoids (1965)

Director: Mike Kuchar

Writers: George Kuchar, Mike Kuchar

Composer:  NA, cues lifted from other films

Starring: Bob Cowan, George Kuchar, Donna Kerness, Maren Thomas, Gina Zuckerman, Julius Middleman

More info: IMDb

Plot:  The survivors of a nuclear war are taken care of by robots called "fleshapoids." One day one of the fleshapoids runs wild, kills its "mistress," and hides in the home of a human female, for whom it begins to develop feelings.



My rating: 6/10

Will I wach it again? No.  

It's weird in that experimental 60s art film sort of way.  Filmed without sound, there's just music and the occasional narration. The dialogue is added as such...




As a film, it's OK.  It's interesting to watch but only up to a point.  I'm a music nerd so much of the fun I had was enjoying the various music cues lifted from other films and classical music. Fans of ALIEN (1979) will recognize the Howard Hanson cue (used during ALIEN's end credits) from his Symphony No. 2.  There's also one of Bernard Herrmann's themes from THE 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD (1958).  And believe it or not, it's some of the music that hurts the 43 minute film in that some cues (Hanson's & Herrmann's mostly) are used repetitively, growing old pretty quickly.  The ending is about the best part where the girl gives birth to a wind up toy robot (legs are spread and a side view shows us the toy marching out from between her legs).  That was fun.  It's definitely a one-watch film for me but I'm glad I saw it...I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment