Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Creature from the Hillbilly Lagoon (2005)

Original title: Seepage!

Director: Richard Griffin

Writers: Richard Griffin, Lee Smith, Andrew Vellenoweth

Composer: Daniel Hildreth

Starring: Andrew Vellenoweth, Tanith Fiedler, William DeCoff, V. Orion Delwaterman, Adam Jarmon Brown, Leigh Radziwon, Ben Chester, Patrick Pitu, Mary Ann Schaub

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It'll get under your skin...

Plot: A group of college students run afoul of not only a passel of insane, inbred rednecks, but also a humanoid fish monster bent on making chum of them all.



My rating: 4/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Last year when I was on my Nunsploitation kick, one of the last pictures I saw was Richard Griffith's unbelievably funny NUN OF THAT (2009).  I was so enamored with it that I started buying everything Griffith directed.   I've seen two more since then and they're not even close to inspiring as NUN.  This is one of them.  Woof.  I go into these shoestring budget pictures with lowered expectations anyway.  The acting is all over the place from good to bad, the pacing is slow in spots, the humor is broad, the makeup effects are actually pretty good, there's some nudity (yay, and believe me when I say it helped), the rednecks are stereotypes as if written by the folks at Troma, and the ending was kind of fun.  And like a lot of these, even when the ending is satisfying, it feels like forever getting to it.  An hour in it felt like we were about done but there was another half hour left. It's that kind of slow pacing that can really hurt a picture.  One of my friends who watched it with me really dug it.  But then he hasn't seen NUN OF THAT yet.  See, I know what Griffith is capable of and I realize NUN came a few years after this but then his MURDER UNIVERSITY (2012) suffered from drag and with that picture NUN was a few years behind him.  I'll give the guy credit for being very prolific and I'm sure he absolutely loves what he's doing.  I'm envious.  I would love to make movies.  He just had the gumption to pick up a camera and make it happen while I sit here watching them and getting upset with myself for not. Damn, I need to rectify that.

No comments:

Post a Comment