Sunday, November 24, 2013

Space Mutiny (1988)


Directors: David Winters, Neal Sundstrom

Writers: Maria Dante, Ian Yule

Composers: Tim James, Mark Mancina, Steve McClintock

Starring: Reb Brown, John Phillip Law, James Ryan, Cameron Mitchell, Cisse Cameron, Graham Clarke, Billy Second, Rufus Swart

More info: IMDb

Tagline: There is nowhere to hide from the enemy within!

Plot: A pilot is the only hope to stop the mutiny of a spacecraft by its security crew, who plot to sell the crew of the ship into slavery.



My rating: 3/10      MS3K version: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I didn't see this in the late 80s upon its release and I wonder how bad I would have thought it was if I had instead of waiting 25 years.  It feels like a cheap sci-fi TV show.  The effects are worse than (or at their best, on par with)  the sci-fi shows of the late 70s.  The only exceptions are the space battle footage lifted from BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (1978)The acting is bland, the direction leaves too much dead time (lots of shots of characters walking for too long, things like that) and the music is horrendously dull.  I reckon the ultra low budget was responsible for a lot of this.  The bottom line is it's pretty damn stale.  I watched the Mystery Science 3000 version which makes this flick watchable.  Some of the jokes are pretty funny, particularly the plethora of names they come up with for Dave Ryder (played by Reb Brown).  That got the most laughs I think. Even the wrap-around MS3K story was fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment