Sunday, October 6, 2013

L.A. Confidential (1997)

Director: Curtis Hanson

Writers: James Ellroy, Brian Helgeland, Curtis Hanson

Composer: Jerry Goldsmith

Starring: Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe, Guy Pierce, James Cromwell, Kim Basinger, Danny DeVito, David Strathairn, Ron Rifkin, Matt McCoy,

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush...

Plot: As corruption grows in 1950s LA, three policemen - the straight-laced, the brutal, and the sleazy - investigate a series of murders with their own brand of justice.



My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

Great flick.  It's been a long time since I revisited it.  It's got a lot going on.  There's an elaborate corruption story going on, there's violence, great setting, performances & Jerry Goldsmith score - It's a typical Tuesday night at my place.  One thing I'll never understand is how Kim Basinger was even nominated for an Oscar, and going on to win the damn thing on top of it.  She's hardly in the picture and she's not doing anything special.  It's an average performance.  I don't get it.  I just don't get it.  OK, MAYBE if she took her top off for the first time on film or something but not based on what I saw.  Did I miss something?



No comments:

Post a Comment