Sunday, August 18, 2013

Dark Star (1974)

Director: John Carpenter

Starring: Brian narelle, Cal Kuniholm, Dre Pahich, Dan O'Bannon

More info: IMDb

Tagline: What Do You Say To A Talking Bomb? All Systems Snafu!!!

Plot: The crew of the Dark Star are on a 20 year mission to clear a path in space by destroying planets that are in the way of navigation routes. After a series of mishaps Mother, the ships computer, can no longer persuade Bomb not to detonate. Even the dead captain is of little help in arguing with Bomb who is bound to do his duty.


My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I just watched John Carpenter's debut feature for the third and final time.  Over the past thirty years I've given it three chances and each time it bores me to no end.  There are bright spots, though, but they are few.  It's billed as a comedy but the laughs are minimal.  I like the story and the special effects.  It's written by and stars Dan O'Bannon who would go on to write ALIEN (1979) a few years later.  What makes this a bit more enjoyable is seeing the seeds of what was to come with that picture.  Other than that, DARK STAR is a real slugfest to keep you awake. I really want to like this picture.  '70s sci-fi is unlike any other decade but this one's just too slow and too long for me to get behind and it pains me to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment