Friday, July 12, 2013

The Producers (1967)

Director: Mel Brooks

Starring: Zero Mostel, Gene Wilder, Dick Shawn, Kenneth Mars, Lee Meredith, Christopher Hewett, Andreas Voutsinas, Estelle Winwood, Renee Taylor, David Patch, William Hickey, Barney Martin

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Once upon a time there was a Broadway producer...who met a "creative" but timid accountant. Together they concocted the most outrageous $1,000,000 scheme in the annals of Show Biz.

Plot: Down-on-his-luck theatrical producer Max Bialystock is forced to romance rich old ladies to finance his efforts. When timid accountant Leo Bloom reviews Max's accounting books, the two hit upon a way to make a fortune by producing a sure-fire flop. The play which is to be their gold mine? "Springtime for Hitler."


My rating: 9.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes! YES! ...and women!

I FUCKING LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!  It's hilarious.  There are so many great lines.  The performances are outrageously funny. The only thing I wish were different is if Gene Wilder would have toned it down in his opening scene.  He gets a little too over the top when he gets hysterical and screams.  But that's a minor quibble as the rest of his performance is classic.  Mel Brooks was a comedy genius for quite a number of years.  And the songs!  They're awesome!!!  I could go on raving about this for as long as the movie lasts in minutes.  Though this isn't for everyone, I urge everyone to see it.  If for no other reason it's for Dick Shawn's funniest moment ever and one of the funniest things that I have ever seen.  It brings tears to my eyes every.single.time  I see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment