Friday, July 19, 2013

The Last of the Secret Agents? (1966)

Director: Norman Abbott

Starring: Marty Allen, Steve Rossi, John Williams, Nancy Sinatra, Lou Jacobi, Theodore Marcuse, Carmen Dell'Orefice, Remo Pisani, Ben Lessy, Loren Ewing, Sig Ruman, Larry Duran, Wilhelm von Homburg, Aida Fires, Harvey Korman, Edy Williams

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Will spying ever be the same again?

Plot:  Two tourists, portrayed by the comic duo Marty Allen and Steve Rossi, are talked into working for the good guys to keep art thieves from stealing the Venus di Milo at the London World Fair.


My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah, if a widescreen print surfaces.

#48 on 42nd Street Forever Vol. 2: The Deuce (part of the TRAILER TRASH PROJECT)


This flick literally starts off with a bang (several of them).

I love monkeys that know how to wear a fez!

The first ten minutes are funny but then it slacks off.  I dig the great titles and theme song even though it's a obvious ripoff of Nancy Sinatra's smash hit, These Boots are Made for Walking.


Probably my favorite bit is the topless club sequence, cleverly showing lots of topless women while keeping it clean for the kids.  And I love how Micheline (Sinatra) is trying to woo Steve but he's not buyin' what she's sellin'.


Harvey Korman has a brief, silly scene.


The real stars of the show are Martin and Rossi.  These guys are hilarious.





WOW! Who's the smokin' hot broad on the left?  
She just got fast-tracked to the top of my "...needs to have my babies" list!

Silly comedies like this are hit and miss for me, usually misses.  This one works because of Martin and Rossi and more of the gags work than they don't.  It's a reasonable way to kill 90 minutes on a lazy Saturday or Sunday.  I think I'd have to buy it if a widescreen DVD ever showed up.  These guys are funny even if the picture isn't from start to finish.




No comments:

Post a Comment