Monday, July 29, 2013

The Hunger Games (2012)

Director: Gary Ross

Starring: Stanley Tucci, Wes Bentley, Jennifer Lawrence, Willow Shields, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz, Donald Sutherland

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Games Will Change Everyone

Plot: In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

I really didn't want to see this.  The similarities with BATTLE ROYALE (2000) are staggering.  A friend who'd read the books invited me to to see it with her in the theater. She educated me on the details the film left out. which helped a lot.  I went and I actually enjoyed it.  I was surprised.  I still think Suzanne Collins ripped-off BR but she did create something much different enough to not cheese me off too much.  While I was hoping for more gore and kids getting killed in grisly ways, I was please with what they did do which is more than I expected.  It's an interesting world this story takes place in and I'm keen to see where else the series will go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment