Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pretty in Pink (1986)

Director: Howard Deutch

Starring: Molly Ringwald, Harry Dean Stanton, Jon Cryer, Annie Potts, James Spader, Andrew McCarthy, Jim Haynie, Alexa Kenin, Kate Vernon, Andrew Dice Clay, Gina Gershon, Dweezil Zappa

More info: IMDb

Tagline: He's good. She's good. He's just Duckie.

Plot: Teenager Andie is one of the not-so-popular girls in high school. She usually hangs out with her friends Iona or Duckie. Duckie has always had a crush on her, but now she has met a new guy at school, Blane. He's one of the rich and popular guys but can the two worlds meet?


My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

I thought for sure that I'd seen this one before but I must have confused it with SIXTEEN CANDLES (1984), a MUCH better movie.  This one's a better than average teen flick with a who's who of the 80s cast.  Annie Potts was a lot of fun and so was Andrew Dice Clay in an early role.  James Spader is uncannily good at playing a cad.  It's a light entertainment time capsule probably has a soft spot in the hearts of teen girls from the 80s more than anything else.  Perhaps if I had seen this as a teen (as I was when it was released) instead of nearly 30 years later I might be apeshit in love with it much like SIXTEEN CANDLES.

No comments:

Post a Comment