Saturday, July 20, 2013

My Little Chickadee (1940)

Director: Edward F. Cline

Starring: Mae West, W.C. Fields, Joseph Calleia, Dick Foran, Ruth Donnelly, Margaret Hamilton, Donald Meek, Fuzzy Knight, Willard Robertson, George Moran

More info: IMDb

Tagline: It's the lafftime of a lifetime ! . . as "Wild Bill" Fields tries to tame the West!

Plot: Rightly suspected of illicit relations with the Masked Bandit, Flower Belle Lee is run out of Little Bend. On the train she meets con man Cuthbert J. Twillie and pretends to marry him for "respectability." Arrived in Greasewood City with his unkissed bride, Twillie is named sheriff by town boss Jeff Badger...with an ulterior motive. Meanwhile, both stars inimitably display their specialties, as Twillie tends bar and plays cards, and Flower Belle tames the town's rowdy schoolboys.


My rating: 8.5/10

Will I watch it again? You bet your sugar tits I will!

Hilarious.  Mae West and W.C. Fields wrote the screenplay but it's West that steals the show.  Fields has his moments but they're not as funny as some of his other work where he's so cynical.  Mae West, though, spits out a lot double entendres and many of them are incredibly funny and dirty that I'm surprised they got passed the censors.


There's one that sticks out where, after returning from being kidnapped by the masked bandit (she was really hot for this guy, see), she's asked about how the ordeal was and she says something like, "I was in a tight spot but I wriggled out of it".  You know exactly what she meant by the sexy way she delivers it. She's all kinds of smokin' hot and she needs to have my babies.  At 84 minutes this flick really packs in the funny.  I've got the two W.C. Fields box sets and I'm only two movies in (the other was INTERNATIONAL HOUSE (1933)) and so far I'm totally sold.





No comments:

Post a Comment