Monday, July 1, 2013

Alien Nation (1988)

Director: Graham Baker

Starring: James Caan, Mandy Patinkin, Terence Stamp, Kevyn Major Howard, Leslie Bevis, Peter Jason, Conrad Dunn, Jeff Kober, Roger Aaron Brown, Tony Simotes

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Prepare Yourself.

Plot: They get drunk on sour milk. They have two hearts and bald, spotted heads. They're highly intelligent, but if you drop them in seawater they'll melt into a puddle of goop. They're "Newcomers," and they arrived as refugees in a massive alien slave-ship, quarantined for three years and then reluctantly accepted as citizens of Earth. To some humans--including seasoned Los Angeles cop Matt Sykes (Caan)--the Newcomers are unwelcome "slags." Sykes's own virulent "speciesism" intensifies when Newcomer thugs kill his partner, but he sees logic in teaming up with Sam Francisco (Patinkin), the first Newcomer detective in the LAPD. Francisco's Newcomer knowledge is vital to their investigation of an alien drug ring, and a friendship grows from life-or-death circumstances.


My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

I saw this once when it came out and that was it.  I liked it then and I'm sorry that I haven't re-watched it sooner.  It's a really good flick.  James Caan and Mandy Patinkin work really well together.  I would've like for them to make more adventures together as these characters but I guess there's the TV series that followed if I want to at least spend more time with the characters.  I'm beginning to wonder if Terence Stamp phones in a lot of his performances because he's just wooden in this one just like he has been in a few of his pictures I've seen in recent years.  I really liked how the aliens assimilated into human society.  There's a good deal of laughs and action.  It's an interesting twist on the popular buddy cop picture at the time and it manages to throw in some nice social commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment