Friday, June 28, 2013

The Cell (2000)

Director: Tarsem Singh

Starring: Jennifer Lopez, Vince Vaughn, Vincent D'Onofrio, Colton James, Dylan Baker, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Gerry Becker, Musetta Vander, Patrick Bauchau, Catherine Sutherland, James Gammon

More info: IMDb

Tagline: This Summer... Enter The Mind Of A Killer

Plot: An FBI agent persuades a social worker, who is adept with a new experimental technology, to enter the mind of a comatose serial killer in order to learn where he has hidden his latest kidnap victim.


My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I think we can all agree that this is a visually striking movie.  On that merit alone this would make for a satisfying theater experience (I passed it up when it came out).  As far as the story goes it's got some cliches that don't work so well.  The first one that struck me as "you're so ripping off better horror/crime/thrillers" is when the FBI guys are preparing to storm the serial killer's house.  It's so forced and urgent that it felt hokey.  The other is the down to the last possible second ending where Peter (Vaughn) tries to save the girl from drowning.  I'm not buying it.  It didn't end the way I'd like to see it but then that's Hollywood for you.  Lopez was OK but she needed more work before taking on this role.  Vaughn didn't convince me at times, too.   A+ on the visuals but a C on everything else.

1 comment:

  1. This film deeply disturbed me. Maybe that's what the director intended, so it's a success? I could feel the evil of the mind that we entered. There's no way I could ever watch it again.

    ReplyDelete