Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse (2004)

Director: Alexander Witt

Starring: Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, Oded Fehr, Thomas Kretschmann, Sophie Vavasseur, Razaaq Adoti, Jared Harris, Mike Epps, Sandrine Holt

More info: IMDb

Tagline: You're all going to die

Plot: Alice awakes in Raccoon City, only to find it has become infested with zombies and monsters. With the help of Jill Valentine and Carlos Olivera, Alice must find a way out of the city before it is destroyed by a nuclear missile.



My rating:  5.5/10

Will I watch it again? No. In fact, I might be done with the franchise.

OK, I was reasonably satisfied with the first film but this one has got me wondering if I need to bother continuing with the series.  It's over the top but it's that stylish over the top with the industrial score and darkly lit settings that either works for you or it doesn't and fore me...it doesn't.  It's mostly one long chase with one fight after another with a few spots for a breather. The Jovovitch badass character is starting to run thin.  I guess I just want her to be less one dimensional.  Sienna Guillory didn't work for me.  Miscast?  I think so. I did feel pretty great about the scene where she's trying to be all badassy in slow motion and throws the matches to ignite the gas behind her and the matches blew out by the time they made their target at which point Alice tosses the cigarette to finish the job. The best part of the movie?


Not that, but since I'm already here...Milla? Please eat.  No, the best part of the movie was the final scene where you find out something that sets up the sequel and you're thinking, "Oh fucking hell yeah!", but after seeing this one I'm not so sure I want to continue.  I've got countless shitty movies to watch as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment