Monday, April 1, 2013

A Is for Acid (2002)

Director: Harry Bradbeer

Starring: Martin Clunes, Keeley Hawes, Richard Hope, Celia Imrie, Rowena Cooper, John Flanagan, Terence Beesley, Matyelok Gibbs, Barbara Marten

More info: IMDb


Plot: The film traces the life and deeds of a true life serial killer, John George Haig AKA the Acid Bath Murderer. Whilst in jail for fraud in the thirties he accidentally discovers the effect that acid has on animal bodies. He subsequently "offs" a series of people including a couple a family and three strangers by inviting them to his "workshop". He dissolves the bodies in oil drums full of acid. The film cuts to flashbacks of his upbringing by zealously religious parents, but steers clear of obviously blaming the parents for the son's murderous behaviour.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

Sing along with me...J is for jacks, acidicly sweet, acid jacks.  Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  Here's a serial killer flick I bet you haven't heard of.  It's casual pacing may turn off some but if you're like me you'll be mesmerized by Martin Clunes' understated and boyish performance.  As always, I wonder where the film strays from the facts but as it's laid out here, Haigh was charming, quiet and calculated; all in the innocence of England in the 1940s (OK, I'm sure it wasn't all that innocent but it was a different time).  I really enjoyed it.  Clunes is fantastic and I was really captivated by his performance.  I almost wanted him to get away with it.  This isn't like any serial killer flick I've ever seen and the damn thing had to be recorded off the Lifetime Network of all places as it's not available on DVD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment