Thursday, March 14, 2013

Trading Places (1983)

Director: John Landis

Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Lee Curtis, Denholm Elliott, Don Ameche, Ralph Bellamy, Jim Belushi, Al Franken, Tom Davis

More info: IMDb

Tagline: They're not just getting rich... They're getting even.

Plot:  Louis Winthorpe is a businessman who works for commodities brokerage firm of Duke and Duke owned by the brothers Mortimer and Randolph Duke. Now they bicker over the most trivial of matters and what they are bickering about is whether it's a person's environment or heredity that determines how well they will do in life. When Winthorpe bumps into Billy Ray Valentine, a street hustler and assumes he is trying to rob him, he has him arrested. Upon seeing how different the two men are, the brothers decide to make a wager as to what would happen if Winthorpe loses his job, his home and is shunned by everyone he knows and if Valentine was given Winthorpe's job. So they proceed to have Winthorpe arrested and to be placed in a compromising position in front of his girlfriend. So all he has to rely on is the hooker who was hired to ruin him.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.


I'm willing to bet that had I watched this thirty years ago (and barely a teenager) I would have loved it.  It's taken me this long to finally see it and I'm not terribly impressed.  It's sporadically funny.  Don't get me wrong, I liked it but not enough to ever want to see it again.  The laughs just weren't there.  And to make it worse, this picture's two freakin' hours long!  Yikes!  That's the biggest crime.  Aykroyd & Murphy are fun to watch but it's the scrummy Jamie Lee Curtis that, ahem, makes this more memorable.






Hubba-fuckin'-hubba!

I definitely think had I watched this thirty years ago (and barely a teenager) I would have LOVED it!

No comments:

Post a Comment