Monday, March 18, 2013

Season of the Witch (2011)

Director: Dominic Sena

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Ron Perlman, Christopher Lee, Stephen Campbell Moore, Stephen Graham, Ulrich Thomsen, Claire Foy, Robert Sheehan, Rebekah Kennedy

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Not all souls can be saved.

Plot: A 14th century Crusader returns to a homeland devastated by the Black Plague. A beleaguered church, deeming sorcery the culprit of the plague, commands the two knights to transport an accused witch to a remote abbey, where monks will perform a ritual in hopes of ending the pestilence. A priest, a grieving knight, a disgraced itinerant and a headstrong youth who can only dream of becoming a knight join a mission troubled by mythical, hostile wilderness and fierce contention over the fate of the girl. When the embattled party arrives at the abbey, a horrific discovery jeopardises the knight's pledge to ensure the girl fair treatment, and pits them against an inexplicably powerful and destructive force.


My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

I like Nicolas Cage but he's made a lot of horrible movies over the years.  A lot.  Watching the trailer for this one made me laugh.  Cage as a 14th Century knight?  HA!  I'll buy Ron Perlman as a knight before I would cage.  Anyway, I finally watched it and it wasn't that bad.  I was really surprised at how entertaining it was and how restrained Cage's performance was.  Oh, and now that I'm thinking of it, I'm growing tired of that cliche where two friends are fighting the bad guys and they end up back to back talking to each other while killing folks.  Anyway, I'm glad I saw it.  It was a fun time with a house full of friends eating, drinking and carrying on.  I don't ever need to see it again but it was fun.  Sometimes I wonder how much of an effect lowering my expectations has on liking a movie.  Would I have liked it less if I watched it alone with expectations of seeing a good movie?  Beats me.

No comments:

Post a Comment