Saturday, March 2, 2013

Robin Hood (2010)

Director: Ridley Scott

Starring: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Max von Sydow, William Hurt, Mark Strong, Oscar Isaac, Danny Huston, Eileen Atkins

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The untold story behind the legend.

Plot: In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power.



My rating: 6/10

Will I watch it again? Noop.

I'm kind of glad I didn't catch this in the theater but at the same time, like the film or not, it's the kind of movie I would prefer to watch on the big screen. Man, what a disappointment.  It's not for a lack of action, although the build up to the finale feels like a lead-in to a sequel that would be more fun, or the great costumes, locales, set design, etc.  It's that I just didn't care much for any of the main characters.  For a film with this calibre of talent in front of and behind the camera I'm shocked that it's so lifeless.  It's as dreary as the time it's set.  I don't care that Scott is putting a different spin on the legend or even fleshing out a back story.  It's only a movie and I don't care all that much if they dick around with the story but the one that's being told here just sits there.  Scott can be a stellar film technician.  He knows how to create worlds that live and breathe, just not all the time and not with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment