Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Rainbow (1973)

More info: WikipediA

Plot: Dark Side of the Rainbow – also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd – refers to the pairing of the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon with the visual portion of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.[1] This produces moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow".




My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Probably the first half or until I fall asleep.

I've always felt that the idea that Pink Floyd created the album DARK SIDE OF THE MOON so that it would sync up with THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) is utter horse shit.  Watch it with their music and you'll see.  BUT, it's also really neat seeing what does work.  Sometimes it's downright eerie.  Probably a decade ago I came across a DVD where someone took the effort to marry the music to the film so you don't have to.  If you have the CD of the album and the DVD of the movie you can watch it for yourself.  It's all over the internet on when to start what.  There are only a small handful of moments when things line up just right and it's damn cool when it happens.  I really enjoy watching OZ this way but I'm also a big Floyd fan and it's a great album.  After the record finishes and starts over there's nothing (that I can recall) that matches up and it gets old REAL fast.  I'm sure you can find it on the net somewhere so that all you have to do is hit play.  Any fan of the band should see it.  It's really neat and it's cool to slap on when you've got your friends over.  Don't look too deeply in it, there's nothing there but a few coincidences and a great audio/visual experience unlike anything else.  I've heard rumors that Michael Jackson's THRILLER album was produced to secretly sync with BEN-HUR (1959)...hmmmmm...I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment