Monday, March 4, 2013

Ghost Rock (2003)

Director: Dustin Rikert

Starring:  Gary Busey, Michael Worth, Jeff Fahey, Adrienne Barbeau, Craig Wasson, Jenya Lano, James Hong, John Laughlin, Rance Howard

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The old West.....with a new attitude!

Plot: In 1882, 20 years after an almost forgotten massacre took place, the only living witness to the crime, John Slaughter, returns to the town where it happened. Now finding the town run by the man behind the terrible act, Slaughter teams up with the mysterious gunslinger Savannah Starr to try and rid the west of one of it's great evils.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Yeah, I think I could.

If I were a man who could be embarrassed, then maybe I would be for liking this film but I'm not.  I honestly thought this was going to be much worse than it was.  I liked it.  It's a Western AND it stars Gary Busey?  Stop.  That's all I need to know.   Busey's phoning it in, but that grin...those fucking teeth!  Love it.  Jeff Fahey proves he's got the best acting chops in the picture.  I loved him in this.  Too bad he's not in it more.  Adrienne Barbeau comes in a close second with the acting chops.  She's fun as always.  Michael Worth does a fine job.  He's a nimble little dude.  His entrance is great as he does all kinds of chop-socky moves to beat this guy down.  He was wearing a cloak the entire time so it could easily be a stunt double but he does get more chances to show of some moves later on.  Be prepared for some bad acting though, the so-bad-it's-good kind.  Lano does her best (I presume it was her best) to be Sharon Stone from THE QUICK AND THE DEAD (1995) but misses the target by a country mile.  Then there's the humor.  It comes and goes but it does so at such strange moments, coming out of nowhere, and that makes it even better.  Jack (Busey) tells John (Worth) during an altercation, "Look, Johnny, be good."  It's goof shit like that that cracked me up.  Maybe you just have to be in that kind of mood.  I must've been.  This low budget Western is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment