Friday, January 25, 2013

Sundance Film Festival Day 8

Thursday, January 24.

Two friends of mine are going to see BREATHE IN tomorrow.  I'm so envious. They get to see it for the first time.  I'm in tears telling them about it without spoiling it. I want to share it so badly.  I can't wait to discuss it with them.

Today was a great day.  I watched IL FUTURO (THE FUTURE) with Rutger Hauer and Manuela Martelli.  Wow.  Amazing.  Then it was ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW that fucking blew...me...away.  I wish you were all here to experience it with me.  After that screening, I got all fanboy over a film composer I had never heard of.  The score for that film was one of the finest I've heard in years.  His name is Abel Korzeniowski and I'm his new biggest fan.  I literally stood gushing in front of him, filling him full of praise. I cannot stress enough that I had never even heard of the guy.  All it took was one fucking amazing film with an even better score.  Of all the films I've seen here at Sundance, this one is most likely to never be seen in public again which makes me more desperate to own it.  Wait for my review and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.  Then it was the big one (for me), SWEETWATER, a western with Ed Harris, Jason Isaacs and January Jones that has a conclusion that kicks all kinds of fucking Western ass.  What a great conclusion to a fantastic day of movie going.  I'm so glad this is happening late in the festival.

I'd like to take a moment and talk about how wonderful the more than 1,800 member volunteer staff is. I have never in my 44 years come across a more delightful and pleasant group of people.  Every single volunteer has far exceeded any expectation I could ever have for any event.  They have been nothing short of   kind, generous and helpful at every single step of the way.  I want to smother all of them in smooches.

For the last flick I had an extremely fun conversation about movies with Heather and David (they weren't together but knew each other) who were directly in front of me in line.  What an enlightening conversation we had for close to an hour and a half.  That's one of the things I dig most about this festival is the people you meet in line.  I fucking love Sundance.  I've been here for more than a week now and it has yet to get stale.  I really feel like I could do this for weeks on end. I'm in heaven, however you define it.  Tomorrow it's the penultimate day for me that starts with THE RAMBLER, IN FEAR (a nice horror flick from what I'm told) and a midnight showing of KINK.  I'm getting sad that this is almost over.  I've been riding on a cloud for more than a week and I don't want this to end.  I'm choking up now so I'll stop for the night.  I'm really going to miss this.  I can't believe I'm getting so emotional right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment