Saturday, January 26, 2013

Il Futuro (The Future) (2013)

Director: Alicia Scherson

Starring: Manuela Martelli, Rutger Hauer, Luigi Ciardo, Nicolas Vaporidis, Alessandro Giallocosta

More info: IMDb

Plot: When her parents die in a car accident, adolescent Bianca’s universe is upended. Staying alone in the family’s Rome apartment and entrusted with the care of her younger brother, Tomas, she struggles to hold things together as her place in her surreal new world becomes blurry. Life is further complicated when Tomas’s gym-rat friends invite themselves to stay indefinitely. Using Bianca as a lure for a heist they’ve concocted, they convince her to initiate a sexual relationship with enigmatic blind hermit Maciste, played by Rutger Hauer. But as the two spend time together, Bianca unexpectedly finds normalcy and acceptance in the aging B-movie star and former Mr. Universe’s rococo mansion.


My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.


I'm in love.  Manuela Martelli (as Bianca) is not only  very easy on the eyes but she's smart and a damn fine actress.  This is one of my favorite films at the Sundance Film Festival this year.  She's magnificent.  It doesn't hurt that one of my favorite actors, Rutger Hauer's in it, too.  This coming of age story is very unlike most.  There's no bullshit.  The characters feel genuine as do their actions and Bianca's arc is handled delicately well.  I LOVED the ending.  I was sad at first but as the hours waned after the screening I came to grips with it and accepted it.  I'd like to see more films like this.  And for those of you who are wondering about Martelli and that image above?  She's completely nude for 75% of her screen time in the scenes with Rutger Hauer.  Lucky bastard.  I highly recommend this one to anyone that might be even remotely interested in this picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment