Saturday, December 29, 2012

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

Director: Sidney Lumet

Starring: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei, Albert Finney, Aleksa Palladino, Michael Shanon, Amy Ryan, Sarah Livingston, Brian F. O'Byrne, Rosemary Harris

More info: IMDb

Tagline: No one was supposed to get hurt.

Plot: When two brothers organize the robbery of their parents' jewelry store the job goes horribly wrong, triggering a series of events that sends them, their father and one brother's wife hurtling towards a shattering climax.

 

My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again? Probably not. 

If there's one thing that's certain in this world, Philip Seymour Hoffman plays slimey REALLY, really well.  Oooh, he can be creepy.  I LOVE movies where plans go horribly wrong and this one stars from the beginning and doesn't slow its descent until the credits roll.  This flick gets dark and stays there.  There is a bright spot (here come the pig in me) and that's FINALLY seeing Marisa Tomei topless.  Should she accept, I would allow her to have my babies.  OK, now back to the show. Sidney Lumet has made some great friggin' dramas.  This man knows acting and he's put together a fine bunch for this flick.  The ending is great but by the time I got there I felt like I needed a bath and that doesn't happen often (not often enough, actually).  I love it when movies make you feel like you've done something wrong and that feeling lingers until the next day.  IN THE COMPANY OF MEN (1997) does that and I think its time I revisit that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment