Saturday, September 15, 2012

Unbreakable (2000)


Director: M. Night Shyamalan

Starring: Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, Robin Wright, Spencer Treat Clark, Charlayne Woodard, Eamonn Walker

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Are You Ready For The Truth?

Plot: A suspense thriller with supernatural overtones that revolves around a man who learns something extraordinary about himself after a devastating accident.



My rating: 10/10

Will I watch it again? YES!!!

The less you know about this movie the better it will be when you see it.

I...LOVE...LOVE...LOVE...THIS...MOVIE!!! It's perfect. I wouldn't change a note. The performances are right on target. The relationship between David (Willis) and his son, Joseph (Clark), touch on something that has me choking up every time I watch it. Elijah (Jackson) is such a sympathetic character that it makes the ending even more shocking and powerful. James Newton Howard's score is just all kinds of awesome. I really dig this guy's scores for M. Night's movies. I don't get the hate that people have for this movie and M. Night. Up until THE HAPPENING (2008) I thoroughly enjoyed everything he did. Now, not so much but I haven't written the guy off. He's proven to be one hell of a film maker. For a while he was compared to Alfred Hitchcock and I can get behind that. Not everything Hitchcock made was a home run. He had a really good run for 20 years until the mid-60s when the quality of his output suffered, something from which he never recovered but people generally neglect his final films. UNBREAKABLE is a remarkable genre film that cleverly makes what's essentially a comic book movie seem more real than anything that came before it. M. Night has always talked about his being a trilogy. I'd love to see them but only if he can go back to being the film maker he was a few years ago before his shit hit the fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment