Friday, June 15, 2012

MoH 108: Cigarette Burns (2005)


Director: John Carpenter

Starring: Norman Reedus, Colin Foo, Udo Kier, Christopher Redman, Chris Gauthier, Zara Taylor

More info: IMDb

Plot: With a torrid past that haunts him, a movie-theater director is hired to hunt for the only known print of a film so notorious that its single screening caused the viewers to become homicidally insane.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Probably not.

This one stands out above the other MASTERS OF HORROR episodes so far in that it feels more like a real movie. I'm guessing it's because of Carpenter and his team. I LOVED the ending and I generally like this but I can't get over two things. First, it's the lead, Reedus. He's not ready for the part. I can't blame him. Somebody had to hire him knowing he's not up to snuff and he feels much too young for the role. I would have rather seen someone a little older that looked and felt like he was an expert at his profession. I wasn't getting it from this guy. The other thing, and this is friggin' huge, is that the title of the film he's hired to find, "Le Fin Absolue du Monde", is named about a jillion times. No lie. I don't recall anyone referring to it as the film, movie, flick, etc. Sometimes you'd hear a character say it 3 or 4 times in the span of 30 seconds. That's either shit writing or there's a perfectly good explanation that I'm not privy to. Regardless, it's annoying as hell. Other than that, It was great to see Udo Kier not hamming it up so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment