Sunday, June 10, 2012

MoH 101: Incident on and Off a Mountain Road (2005)




Director: Don Coscarelli

Starring: Bree Turner, Angus Scrimm, John DeSantis, Ethan Embry, Heather Feeney

More info: IMDb

Plot: While driving in the night in a lonely road through the mountains, Ellen distracts with her radio and hits a car parked on the road. She faints and she looks for help since her car does not start again. She meets in the woods Moonface, a deranged monster-like man that collects human bodies pulling a woman. She is abducted by Moonface, but she recalls the survival lessons of her husband Bruce facing and fighting back the killer.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nah.

I recently started watching this series from the beginning. I had only seen a couple of eps prior and I kind of dug it. It was a short-lived, two season series on Showtime with a total of 26 episodes. Each episode was a near-one hour horror mini-movie directed by a master director of horror films. I've heard nothing but mixed bag thoughts from anyone who I've talked to that's seen it. I'm keen to get through all 26 this year so I can move on with my life.


This first episode is directed by a guy whose films I really dig (PHANTASM (1979), BUBBA HO-TOP (2002)) so my expectations were a little high. It's a pretty good flick. I have no idea why Ellen fell for Bruce in the first place as he's clearly an unstable guy but whatever. That's not really all that important as people fall for the wrong guy/gal all the time without any rationale to the outside world. OK, I liked how we get bits and pieces (in flashback) of what happens between the two of them as she's currently dealing with a Texas Chainsaw-esqe killer in the night time woods. And I liked how she was able to survive. It made sense but it bugged the piss out of me how she started over-doing the tough girl routine with the one liners and shit. The ending was pretty good. It's weird but it's just under an hour but it felt like it went on much longer than that. Not a bad way to kick off a series such as this. It's promising. I wonder how the rest will fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment