Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Beast (1975)




Director: Walerian Borowczyk

Starring: Sirpa Lane, Lisbeth Hummel, Elisabeth Kaza, Pierre Benedetti, Guy Trejan, Roland Armontel

More info: IMDb

Plot: The head of a failing French family thinks that fate has smiled down on him when the daughter of a wealthy man agrees to be married to his son. The daughter and her aunt then travel out to the French countryside to meet with the family, unaware that a mysterious 'beast' is stalking the vicinity.



My rating: 4/10

Will I watch it again? Nope.

How about that trailer, huh? Despite what IMDb says, this is NOT a horror movie. It doesn't even present the beast as a horrific thing, just a horny animal looking for a good time, all to harpsichord music in the background. This is nothing more than an early 20th century erotic fantasy.


It did nothing for me except wonder why this was made and why I'm watching this in October. Oh, yeah, I though it was a horror movie. I've been cheated. What's more amazing is that this is part of a three DVD special edition with two discs for the two different versions of the film and a third for a 105 minute making of documentary which I'm going to skip altogether. I've got a Hammer mummy movie calling me.

No comments:

Post a Comment